The Thing That Made My (Last Several) Week(s)


I haven't done the I'm thankful for... post since I left for my Trans-Siberian adventure. And for good reason. I can't seem to find the words to express it. I'll try to be brief.

They say traveling gives you a change of perspective. I've definitely found that to be true. What stood out to me when I came back from my three weeks of travel is...
...the entrepreneurial spirit of the US.

I was surprised that I missed seeing the owner of my favorite breakfast burrito place. (She's a gutsy Greek woman with a thick accent, which doesn't stop her from chatting me up about my work and my family.) I missed HN articles brimming with inspiring stories. I missed getting ridiculously great service everywhere in the US. (And by everywhere, I mean even at USPS.) I missed seeing people who are excited about their job!

I know this culture of taking risks, managing crazy amount of stress, and hustling is not for everybody. But it totally is for me. That's why there's no doubt in my mind that the US is where I belong.

Here is just a small sampling of people who inspire me every day.

Emily Fischer // started a company making custom quilts and kites



Arram Sabeti // founder of ZeroCater, has an amazing story, and the only person on this list I've met

Rachel Ball // founder of elephantine, mignon kitchen, and author of a lovely blog

I guess all I'm trying to say is, people who have started a business, I love you(Except for the people who started the patent troll business. Hate is a strong word, but I hate you.)

And that's what I've been thankful for the last ten(!) weeks. :)

Comments