Movie Date with Myself

It's not as dramatic as it sounds. I had plans to go to the movies with someone - it's a long story, but I ended up in a movie theater by myself along with 6-7 older couples. It was quite cute, actually.

I went to see The Iron Lady.
I loved the movie. Meryl Streep is amazing. She can say so much without saying anything at all. I knew a little bit about Margaret Thatcher just from history classes and such, and this movie showed a more personal side to her. The movie follows her in her present state with flashbacks that show her as a young woman getting into Oxford to her resignation. I don't know much about movies (how they are written or directed or what have you), but I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Margaret is a truly amazing woman. She worked hard and held her ground. So many good quotes. The movie covered the Argentinean invasion of Falkland Islands and how she handled it. The letter that she wrote to the families of troops that died as a result of the war was heart breaking. Her reason for fighting for the islands, even in the midst of poor economic performance in the country, was hard to not stand behind - "We will stand on principle, or we will not stand at all."

One of the scenes in the movie is her getting questioned by a doctor about how she is feeling. And she says that too many people are concerned with feelings, and not enough people are concerned with thoughts and actions. Thoughts are what matter. She says

Watch your thoughts for they become words. Watch your words for they become actions. Watch your actions for they become... habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. And watch your character, for it becomes your destiny! What we think we become.
I could not agree more.

Comments