Day 53: Dentist

I chewed through yet another set of retainers, so today I have an appointment to scan my teeth for a more durable set. I take Tommy because somehow I forgot I was taking care of a newborn when I made this appointment. Walk there is a breeze. He looks up at the trees and coos when I talk to him. 

He's sleeping when we get to the office. I ask if it's ok to take the stroller into the room with me, like I have any other choice if they say no. I say, "He should sleep through the whole thing." He starts stirring and whimpering when she's not even down with my bottom jaw. My mouth is spread open with one of those lip stretchers. I'm worried I'll scare Tommy if I go check on him haha. By some miracle he calms himself and only starts crying when she's finishing up scanning my mouth.

My beloved hygienist peeks in and rocks the stroller to calm him down. I tell her to pick him up! She takes off the gown and picks him up. I can't believe this is my life. I'm getting my teeth scanned and my dental hygienist cares about me and my newborn so much that she takes time out of her day to soothe Tommy.

We start our walk back. It seems like he's hungry but I think I can make it home. This is a mistake. I end up making 5 stops in the 1.5 miles to soothe him. When it's clear he will not be soothed until he eats, I leave the stroller and walk to the nearest bench with him to nurse. It's windy and cold, but I'm sweating from running with the stroller while shushing.

Two older women pass me and Tommy nursing on the bench. They pause their conversation and one of them just says "Beautiful" in our direction. He really is. They roll the stroller back over to us from where I abandoned it in a rush. One guy tells me about his daughter who has a 5 month old. Another guy stops and chats with me about his cousin who was born on new year's and was in the paper. He tells me about his mom nursing his younger sister and what an education it was for him and his neighborhood friends. Everyone has a story.

I don't know if people are more chatty when you have a baby or if there's selection bias for chatty people when you're out during a work day. In any case, I love it.


Comments