Clear Skin

photo via Garance Dore

For the past few years, right around my birthday, my skin decides to give me a lovely present of clear skin. And every year I think, Ah-ha! I've grown out of having teenage acne-prone skin. And throw myself a party in the form of throwing away all my acne treatment stuff.

And then, of course, a few weeks later, it's back with a vengeance.

But, you guys, it's almost September, and my skin hasn't broken out since, like, beginning of July! I'm pretty sure this makes me an authority on clear skin, so get ready to receive my expert advice.

The secret to clear skin is...
...washing your face every single night.

(I know. It's groundbreaking. Let me just give you a minute for the profundity of this advice to sink in.)

We all know that, right? The problem is getting yourself to do it at the end of a long day.

Here's a dirty trick I use now: I wear makeup. Even if I'm running late, or don't feel like wearing makeup, I'll put on powder or blush or mascara. That way, I can't trick my tired head into thinking that my face is clean anyway and really doesn't need cleansing.

Another tip (because I'm on a roll) is to use toner. It does wonders for evening out my complexion and feels really refreshing. (I like the kind that you can just spritz on your face without a cotton pad.)

P.S. Garance and her facial-ist(?) like toner too!

Comments