Cake - measurement conversion app

coffee

Lest you think I've been slacking since moving to the Bay area (actually, most of the time, that's exactly what I've doing), let me tell you about the app Vova and I built. It's called Cake.

 

Do you guys remember when I got my kitchen scale? (I didn't. Luckily, it was easy to look up.) It was in 2010, friends. Four(!) long years ago. Wat.

Since then, I've weighed ingredients for a pancake and a wedding cake, and everything in-between. It completely changed the way I cook. There was only one problem: most recipes do not include weights. This meant that if you wanted to forgo dirtying all of your measuring cups before you ate breakfast, you'd need to sit down and convert cups to grams for each ingredient first.

Being a software engineer, I’ve always thought I could do better than that, you know? More than 3 years after the idea was born, Vova and I started implementing it. And the result amazes me every time I use it. I'm so, so proud of it.

Oh, and guess who else likes Cake! Beautiful Pixels and Lifehacker. And here's what our usage analytics had to say about it.

Gah. This feels so incredible.

This app would still be just an idea if it weren't for Vova. I worked really hard on it, too, but not without him being on my case about it. :) I learned a ton, and damn, this feeling is addictive. What's next?

P.S. If you're curious about how we implemented it, you should check out the source code.

Comments