Thursday, June 7, 2012

Go-To Breakfast (German Pancake)

Mmm...breakfast

Breakfast is, by far, my favorite meal of the day. I just don't get people who don't eat breakfast. I'm so hungry when I wake up. When I still lived in Russia my dad made me and my brother jog in the mornings before school. I hated getting out of a warm bed into the cold for a run the most. But, not eating breakfast as soon as I roll out of bed was a close second. (I realize that running on a full stomach is probably even worse, but that's why now I run in the afternoon. Plus you are more prone to injuries in the morning. You're welcome.)

German Pancake in the oven

I love making/eating breakfast. It's my area of cooking expertise (if I have one). I've blogged about this miraculous pancake before. Allow me to elaborate on its beauty: you probably have all the ingredients to make it tomorrow morning, it takes literally 5 minutes, one bowl and one whisk to get it in the oven, 35 minutes to bake (um..the perfect amount of time to shower, get ready, check your email, and make coffee/tea), and 2 minutes to devour. I used to make it in a cast-iron skillet which made the cleanup a bit of a pain. But I recently noticed that Deb makes hers in a cake pan. It works just as well and cleaning up is that much...lighter.

You can find the recipe that I use here. Deb's recipe works well for two. I find that there's really no need to sift the flour as long as you add the flour gradually and keep whisking to prevent clumps. I like my german pancake with a bit of lemon juice, powdered sugar, and lots of peach slices. But I've also been known to rough it with maple syrup or just powdered sugar.

5 comments :

  1. These are mouthwatering! And you presented them so beautifully :) I love people that have nostalgia towards some special favorite food... Mine has to be Mama's heavy cream pancakes that she usually made every Friday when I still was young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - I found smitten kitchen just recently, and I'm completely addicted to that site...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Deb is amazing. Sometimes I feel like she reads my mind and posts a recipe of something I've been daydreaming about. And I loooove her wit!

      Delete
  3. Yay! Thanks for sharing Olga! I always order German pancakes when I go out for breakfast because they're such a treat, but now I can make them at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you do make them at home. Let me know how it goes.

      Delete