Hollywood Sign Hike

IMG_1230
At the summit

First impression: crowded! I did this on a Saturday, so if you're visiting LA and can go during the week it might be less busy. Saw a couple of girls before the 0.5 mile mark hiking in skirts and wedges. I mean, I know chiffon midi skirts are airy and summery, wedges are comfortable, as far as uncomfortable-but-pretty shoes go, and this is, after all, a hike to the Hollywood Sign. But it is a hike, ladies!

IMG_1214
The city skyline barely visible through the smog

Overall, it was really easy, but confusing. There are a lot of misleading "trails" made by people just exploring. I think it might be a side-effect of such a popular trail. I actually went about a mile or so off-track when I took the wrong turn and I came to a dead-end with a lot of people standing around and taking pictures. It was a pretty cool spot for a picture, but I knew it wasn't the closest the trail promised to take me.

IMG_1198
The end of the bait-and-switch trail

A nice lad gave me some vague directions of how to get to the top, and off I went. Crowds notwithstanding, it was pretty awesome to see the Hollywood sign up close. I can't believe I've been living near/in LA for 7 years and hadn't hiked to it until recently.

I remember coming to visit LA the first time. I imagined that as soon as you enter LA city limits you'd be able to see the Hollywood Sign. My visit was long before Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus came out featuring the following lyrics adding to the misconception:

Jumped in the cab, here I am for the first time
Look to my right and I see the Hollywood sign...

Now, I do love me some Miley, but that line is a little misleading. That's not the case, friends! You kind of have to go out of your way to see the sign.

This hike reminded me I still haven't gone on this one: Mt. Wilson Trail. It's an 18 mile, all day hike. Since it's more of a challenge, I'm trying to recruit someone to go with me. Will let you know how that goes.

nodding my head like yeaaaaaaa...

Comments