Rejection Email

Three interviews and three (very nerve-wracking) weeks later I didn't get the job that I was really hoping for. I found out yesterday.

Untitled
Stunning photo by Tim Robison

I never even expected to get a first interview with them. I remember checking my email that Monday morning and managing to get out the "eeeeeee" before leaping up and doing the knee-bent shuffle with the drumming hands. There is only one occasion on which my body does that stupid-looking move -- when I am extremely excited about something. I think that was the first time my cats saw it. Both of them got into the "I'm-about-to-flee" position: body low the ground, ears on alert, tail whipping. I tried to reach out and comfort them and they both bolted out of the bedroom. (Gah. I really get side-tracked talking about cats, don't I?)

Since that Monday until yesterday I've been on pins and needles. Every time I thought about it (which was A LOT) my stomach would flip and I rushed to check my email to see if there was an update. I had interview nightmares. Although for some reason, in my nightmares, I was always interviewing for Facebook in a room resembling one of the lecture halls at UCLA. (Strange.) Finally, when I found out yesterday at 4:37 PM, I felt sad but also relieved. I went right back to coding a draw hook to draw "Page X of Y" at the bottom of each script page. I tried not to think about it, I really tried to hold back the tears at work, but couldn't. I finished my ticket, checked it in, put it up for review and drove home.

I cried and cried and cried. And then I got a good night's sleep.

Comments

  1. Oh! Gosh. Wish I could have seen this a little earlier and written some supportive things!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment