Wedding Cake - Done!

IMG_4344

Hi. I don't believe we've met. I'm Olga and I made a wedding cake. An honest to goodness four-tier-swiss-buttercream-clad-cake-dowel-and-cake-board-supported wedding cake. I found the hard limit of my stand-mixer by attempting to make 24 cups of chocolate cake batter in one batch. I squinted every time I added another glug of buttermilk. The project only took about 7 pounds of butter, 20 egg whites (just for frosting), 1 pound of the best cocoa powder money can buy, 18 bags of chai tea, and a lot, a lot of time.

IMG_4329 IMG_4330 IMG_4334 IMG_4335

It was such a success, I feel that a lot of thanks are in order. I'd like to thank:

  • Deb (of smitten kitchen) - for documenting her wedding cake making experience, which I studied for weeks before I set out on this endeavor.
  • An incredible cookbook (Sky High) where most of the recipes and lots of advice came from.
  • Elyse - for chiseling the cardboard cake boards so that I wouldn't have to touch them.
  • Tori - for entrusting her wedding cake to inexperienced-me!
  • The wedding DJ - for temporarily halting the rave music and playing Celebration and Single Ladies, providing me with a much needed dance release and making it all totally worth it.
  • JZ - for being an awesome friend (if only through email) and believing in me.
  • The Bees - for telling me that I could do it despite my recent cake set-back.
  • Dearest mama - for reminding me to start early and exceeding my quota of stand-mixer & spatula accidents while she was here.
  • Vova - for getting the rotating cake stand and saving me a lot of time.
  • Tessy - for general awesomeness and lots of help the night before.

I couldn't have done it without y'all!

IMG_4608

704472_304930566287938_31149792_o
Tessy and I cutting the cake. (I did not take this photo. I also don't know who did.)

Comments

  1. It was absolutely beautiful!! We knew you could do it sweetie!! You can do anything you are determined to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so totally impressed with you! Is baking a hobby of yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Cooking, in general. is a hobby of mine. I didn't start cooking/baking until fairly late. My first layer cake was an incredible disaster. I think I was 16 and had no idea what I was doing. But I didn't give up, and cake after cake I'm getting a lot better (with an occasional setback along the way)!

      Delete

Post a Comment