Day 31-37 | zero week



I've been home for 6 days. Do I keep counting these as PCT days? Even though I'm not on the trail? What are the rules?

Got on Alex's health insurance as a domestic partner. Feeling very grown-up. And very thankful for Alex's employment, benefits, and Kirk (Credit Karma's HR guy who looks like a bouncer).

It cost me $634 to rule out a stress fracture. Urgent care doctor was very sweet and immediately admitted she was rusty on leg anatomy. She googled "lower leg anatomy" in the room and read off names of what could be involved. She referred me to sports medicine and ordered an X-ray.

I had a bad feeling going up to the sports medicine department desk. Where did it hurt? Lower shin? OK, that's Dr. so-and-so. He comes in once a week on Tuesday. Oh, and he's on vacation for the month of June. Would I like to book an appointment for July 11th? No.

I went in for the X-ray at 5:00. Got what might be the world record for fastest X-ray results at 5:13.
Impression:
IMPRESSION: Normal.
No explanation for pain
Read by: Joseph F Walter, MD 5/30/2018 5:13 PM


Dr. Amol Saxena (sports medicine doctor) ran the Boston Marathon in 2 hours 44 minutes. He has all these signed posters from professional athletes thanking him. And a whole wall of thank you notes from amateur runners, adventurers, dancers. Very intimidating! I'm just walking. He knew what my problem was right away, and I had my diagnosis within 10 minutes.

Just an inflamed tendon. Once I can hop on my left leg 3 times without it hurting, I'm good to go back out.

We ate 2 whole garlic heads, 2.5 ginger roots, and 33 eggs. (Thirty three eggs. As Selby would say, isn't that awful?)


5 of those eggs are in this tiramisu

Whatever weight I lost on trail, I got it all back this week. So much good food. I went to Whole Foods every day after dropping Alex off at the train station, and I'm not proud of it. I'm scared to tally up how much I spent there. ($78.95. Oof.)



Made this Korean pork shoulder not once, but twice this week.

As soon as I knew I was going back out on the trail, I bought a camera. Sony RX100. I've been tracking it on craigslist for a while, and found a motivated seller. It's such a neat little thing! I was really bummed about my phone's camera performance. I think this is going to be worth the weight. YAY!


Comments