Day 100 | mile 2275.2 - 2294.9 | 19.7 miles


Woke up with a layer of dirt on all the surfaces in my tent, my sleeping bag, my pot. It was windy all night. Gusts of wind would shake my tent and wake me up. I guess all this wind was blowing in dust.






I wiped my face with my smelly hiking shirt. Wiped my cooking pot the best I could with a (dirty) sock. I don’t have clean socks. Nothing I have is clean. Oatmeal, last of the blueberries, last of the croissants. And there won’t be more because USPS is not open today.



Goat Rocks was amazing. Don’t know what else to say.


All This and Heaven Too started playing in my head as I walked on top of the ridge. I put it on in my headphones and sang my heart out. All my stumbling phrases never amounted to anything worth this feeling. I could see the trail for miles and I was all alone.


Ran into many SOBOs on the way down. The fire alternate was overgrown. But it was overgrown with blueberry and huckleberry bushes. So I hardly minded.


Crossed a creek about a mile before coming up on the road. Wet shoes and feet for the next 3 hours. Bleh.


Packwood at 3. Easy hitch. First priority: get a hotel room. “Can I help you?” “Uh yes, I’d like to book a hotel room?” Every room in the 4 hotels in town is booked. No reception, so I can only use voip to call. Alex called all the hotels. Booked me a room in White Pass.

I resupplied at a grocery store in Packwood. $30 for 2.5 days of food. Did I get enough fruit snacks?


Met firefly (Amy) and Fish - two SOBOs. Amy and I hit it off right away. I overheard her say The Broom of the System and we were best friends in 2 seconds. I don’t think either of us ever thought we’d meet anyone who has read that ridiculous book.


Fish and I split a white garlic bacon pizza at 4. Amy, Fish, and I hitched back to white pass. They had stayed in town last night, so they were going back out. And I was checking into this hotel. It was raining.


$145 per night. Fancy, right? You must get a fluffy robe, breakfast buffet, fast internet, and a sauna. NOPE. This room doesn’t even come with shampoo and conditioner. Or WiFi. Or a draining sink. The shower stall is so tiny, it makes the port-a-potty shower in Timberline look like a spa. I had to twist myself into a pretzel to wash my feet. Whatever this hotel lacks in amenities it makes up for in the quantity of hooks. 25 by my last count. Although somehow I keep finding more.

Started laundry with Sarah downstairs. Sarah is an older hiker hiking a section of the PCT with her husband. She is lovely.

Sleep at 12.

Comments