Tom & Elis

photos via jb

Do you like jazz? I'm certainly no Carrie Mathison, but I'm kind of a jazz-lover wannabe. In high school I used to listen to So What by Miles Davis on repeat. (Cliché, I know.) In college, one of my roommates introduced me to the Ella & Louis For Lovers album. I thought it was so incredibly romantic! I still get goosebumps when I listen to it.

I've known about Tom Jobim from a latin dance class I took once. That class played Girl from Ipanema so much, I'm still in recovery from its overdose (and partner dancing). Anyway, about a year ago I was stumbling around Spotify looking for a jazz fix, I found my way back to Jobim and this duet album. I have to say, Águas De Março kind of blew my mind, especially this recording room video.



This song has a lot of things I love: a latina woman (hai, JZ), duets, jazz, weird lyrics. If only they threw in a cat somewhere. Elis is too adorable for words. I love her smile and her bobbing around as she is singing. (The part that starts at 2:45 makes me grin so much.)

PS. Did you spot the cigarette she is holding toward the end of the video? What a baller.

Comments